Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Far across the Sea…

Happy Feast to my New Calendar friends!

A week ago, I left my homeland and traversed the dark sea until I came to another old haunt, the City by the Bay. San Francisco, known to locals in abbreviation as “S.F.” or simply “the City,” but never “San Fran” or (anathema!) “Frisco,” was my home for two years before I left for Jordanville. My San Francisco days had their ups and downs, but I learned to be a little more ambitious and less wary to step outside my comfort zone. In many ways, it prepared me for seminary life.

Here’s a few things I’ve done so far:

  • Hang out with friends.
  • Visit the San Francisco library. I still have my old card!
  • Eat as much meat as possible before the Dormition Fast began.
  • Go contra-dancing!
  • Walk around the neighborhood. This city is probably one of the most walkable in the country. Even the sleepy neighborhood around the Cathedral has a good deal to see within a walkable ratio.

It’s always a joy to see my old friends here. My parish at the Old Holy Virgin Cathedral have always welcomed and supported me like family. I’ve also seen and greatly enjoyed my time with other good friends from around the Orthodox community. Now, let me put on my seminarian hat for some pertinent reflection:
  • After a year at Jordanville, it’s no surprise that many of my anecdotes and jokes concern seminary life. I try to cool it before the eye-rolling starts.
  • Thankfully, my Orthodox audience is mostly receptive, and would ask quite a few questions (“Do you really eat with spoons?!?”).
  • Being a seminarian (like it or not) comes with an aura of authority, even though, as a lowly second-year, I have none. During a service, people could look at you as if to say, “well, what do we do next?” Or, they could ask you to conduct a piece of music or two. It’s best to say “I don’t know” if you’re not sure, but it helps to be prepared just in case.
  • It is indeed nice to eat with forks again.
It’s been a great Summer! My fellow seminarians, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Spoons are great! Even if a fork really helps with spaghetti, it still helps to have a spoon in hand for that instance.

    ReplyDelete