Wednesday, June 6, 2012

All in a day’s work.


Yesterday, Fr. Cyprian quietly left me in charge of the dormitory in his absence. For the next two and a half weeks, I will have to get rooms ready for visitors and summer boys, make sure things get cleaned, make sure nothing gets blown up, etc. The job does have its perks, including the unlimited power I have. Not that it’s going to go to my head or anything.

Alongside my temporary superpowers is my secret identity as a mild-mannered bookstore clerk. Today was a pretty quiet day in the story. I mostly spent it tidying up and restocking. I had to wash pots and pans after lunch, so I asked one of my co-workers (also named John) to fill in for me for an hour. After I came back I tackled a difficulty we had with our software: for some reason, we couldn’t access our customer orders. That meant that we couldn’t ship anything out.

Pete (who is in New York City at the moment) suggested that I do a reindex for both the store computer and the laptop, which was also used. However, the laptop remained mysteriously powerless. A search on youtube yielded successful results: the laptop had a power overload and had to be discharged. I was very happy to learn the method since I had an old computer that had the same problem. First, I unplugged the laptop and took out the battery. Second, I held down the power button for thirty seconds. This discharged any remaining power in the computer. Third, I plugged in the laptop WITHOUT putting the battery back in and turned it on. Presto!

Unfortunately, doing the reindexing didn’t work. So I called tech support, who guided me through a reboot and reinstall of the software (after backing everything up, of course). The reinstall worked, and I was successfully able to open up the customer orders screen.

I came back to the dorm, tired but relieved that things were settled. After resting for a couple hours, I heard a knock on my door. It was a former classmate of mine, holding a bloody paper towel against his thumb. “You’re in charge while Fr. Cyprian is away, right?” I took him to the office, helped dress his wound (which he got while cutting bread) and sent him off.

And the day’s not even over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment